2. Steel is widely used in different branches of engineering because it has a number of good ______.
A. possessions B. features
C. properties D. shapes
2. We tried to ______ our conversation to arguments relevant to the topic.
A. confine B. confirm
C. confuse D. confess
3. The school committee naturally hope that their choice of a play will be ______ with the school and parents.
A. content B. fortunate
C. popular D. pleasing
4. It is ______ that over one million Americans now live below the poverty line.
A. judged B. estimated
C. calculated D. considered
5. She ______ the lamp so that the light fell directly on her book.
A. adapted B. adopted
C. adjusted D. replaced
6. I have heard many different ______ of the same story.
A. impressions B. imaginations
C. sayings D. descriptions
7. Each country has to ______ foreign exchange to pay for the articles and commodities imported.
A. hope B. buy
C. earn D. receive
8. He was determined to do good, not to any ______ person but to a country.
A. general B. respective
C. individual D. common
9. Some men have made great ______ by developing oil businesses.
A. fortunes B. earnings
C. expenses D. properties
22. She had to ______ her dress because she had lost weight.
A. transform B. alter
C. shift D. cut
22. Instead of working, Jack was ______ away his time.
A. wasting B. wandering
C. throwing D. idling
22. The money collected for the celebrations ______ to $ 222.
A. became B. counted
C. amounted D. totaled
23. His son is a ______ electrician; he can repair all kinds of electric appliances.
A. competent B. efficient
C. intelligent D. careful
24. The book contained a large ______ of information.
A. much B. number
C. amount D. sum
25. The trial flight ______ a distance of 865 feet and lasted 56 seconds.
A. made B. ran
C. kept D. covered
26. The children all had a good time on ______ Children's Day.
A. / B. a
C. their D. the
27. Your usual teacher has lost his voice and ______ I am taking his place today.
A. besides B. nevertheless
C. therefore D. however
28. The machine ______ by an experienced engineer last Saturday.
A. repaired B. was repaired
C. had repaired D. was repairing
29. ______ who are free today may join us.
A. They B. Those
C. All D. These
22. I carry only enough money to make change for a ______ bill.
A. tens-dollars B. tens-dollar
C. ten-dollars D. ten-dollar
22. I got to th